Learn why these brands are a favorite with schools nationwide
Chocolate bar fundraisers for schools are a popular and easy go-to. There is a reason everyone is familiar with this fundraiser. Who doesn’t like candy, right? Simmons research reveals that 38 million people eat six or more candy bars a month. It’s a no-brainer that candy bars are an easy sell, especially chocolate.
And an easy sell leads to a big raise. This helps you reach your financial goals and, as a bonus, boosts the morale of your students for a job well done! Which chocolate bar fundraiser is best for your school? We look at 3 great options for your school’s next fundraiser below.
Candy Bar Fundraiser Benefits
Schools love the benefits of candy bar fundraisers. And they’re considered one of the easiest school fundraisers. But how do they work? Schools purchase the candy bars in bulk from the supplier at a discounted rate. They then sell the candy bars, typically for $1 or $2. The discount depends on the size of the bulk order and their selling price is the profit for each sale. Using this method, the more you sell, the more you increase your profit margin.
3 Chocolate Bar Fundraiser Options
Big Fundraising Ideas recommends three candy bar products: America’s Variety, Chocolatiers, and Signature Gourmet. Learn more about each brand and its offerings below.
America’s Variety Bars
America’s Variety offers gourmet chocolate bars in creamy caramel, milk chocolate almond, crispy rice, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate almond. The brand has earned its name by selling chocolate bars in variety cases. The chocolate bars sell for $1 each, making them a customer favorite!
Chocolatiers Candy Bars
Chocolatiers candy bars are great for reaching a broader market. Like the other offerings, they’re peanut-free, gluten-free, and kosher. Flavors offered include creamy caramel, milk chocolate, crispy rice, and milk chocolate almond. Their basic candy bars sell for $1. However, there is an option to upgrade to their jumbo candy bars that sell for $2. The jumbo bars offer schools a more significant profit margin of up to 58%.
Signature Gourmet Chocolate Bars
Signature Gourmet offers three chocolate bar collections for schools to choose from for their fundraising needs. The first collection is their $1 gourmet bars. Flavors included in this collection are almond, caramel, crisp rice, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate. Their second collection almost doubles the size of the chocolate bars for just $1 more. This collection also offers a higher profit margin for the seller.
The third collection offered by signature gourmet provides fun and unique treats to sell alongside your chocolate bars. Chocolate treats include chocolate-covered almonds, caramel bites, mint bites, and almond, caramel, and crisp rice chocolate bars.
6 Tips to a Successful Candy Bar Fundraiser for Schools
Read on for some helpful tips for your school’s chocolate bar fundraiser.
- Divide and Conquer: You will sell more if you can cover more ground. There is no use in multiple students ringing the same doorbell selling the same product. Assigning neighborhoods, and local businesses to groups of students helps to avoid this.
- Incentivize the Sale: Students need a reason to want to do well. Some students will do it for bragging rights alone or because they want to help the school, but most will need a bigger push than that. Encourage student engagement in your fundraising efforts. Turn the raise into a contest with a fun prize for the highest seller. Alternatively, you can encourage students to work together to reach one large goal with a reward of a dance, field trip, or movie day.
- Market the Raise: You can go beyond the sales of your students. Market your raise using your website, fundraising platforms, and social media. You can even post signs around town and ask to leave announcements at local businesses. Be sure to highlight a way to purchase for those interested!
- Train to Sell: Your students’ ability to sell the candy bars greatly impacts the success of your raise. Why not take advantage of the opportunity and teach them a valuable workplace skill set! Consider incorporating our N.O.W. selling method resource.
- Set Goals: Asking students to sell 1 candy bar fundraiser box is optimal. Be sure to keep tabs on the money outstanding by using a tracking sheet.
- Keep Safety in Mind: Remind your students of the risks of door-to-door sales. Teach them best practices for safe fundraising. For younger students, be sure to have a parent or older sibling accompany them.
- Be Transparent: Be clear about your intentions for the money raised. This should be stated right away at the door during sales, and it should be clear and visible on all marketing materials. People are more likely to spend their money when they know the good it will do.